Sex education is a process that helps people obtain the knowledge, skills, and motivation they need to make healthy decisions about their sexuality and sex. Planned Parenthood is the leading provider of sex education in the United States, reaching 1.2 million people per year, according to the organisation.
Several Facts Regarding Comprehensive Sex Education
In the field of sex education, high-quality teaching and learning about a broad range of topics related to sex and sexuality is essential. Students learn about their own values and beliefs about those topics while also developing the skills necessary to navigate relationships and manage their own sexual health. Sex education can take place in a variety of locations, including schools, community centres, and online. Planned Parenthood believes that parents play a significant and important role in providing sex education to their children and adolescents. Here you will find information and resources for parents.
Programs for K-12 students that cover a broad range of issues connected to sexuality, including but not limited to the following:
- Human Growth and Development (including reproduction, puberty, sexual orientation, and gender identity)
- Relationships are important (including families, friendships, romantic relationships and dating)
- Personal Capabilities (including communication, negotiation, and decision-making)
- Sexual Attitudes and Behaviours (including abstinence and sexuality throughout life)
- Sexual Well-Being (including sexually transmitted diseases, contraception, and pregnancy)
- Society and Culture are intertwined (including gender roles, diversity, and sexuality in the media)
There are a number of essential materials available to guide the implementation of comprehensive sexuality education, including:
The guidelines for comprehensive sexuality education established by the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS) were developed by a nationwide task force of specialists in the fields of adolescent development, health care, and education. Their purpose is to create a framework for the fundamental concepts, subjects, and messages that should be included in all sexuality education programmes in the ideal world.
With the Future of Sex Education Initiative (FoSE), the United States government hopes to spark a national conversation on the future of sex education while also encouraging the institutionalisation of comprehensive sexuality education in public schools. They have created the first-ever National Sexuality Education Standards, National Teacher Preparation Standards, as well as a slew of other toolkits and materials to help schools and teachers implement comprehensive sexuality education programmes and improve their own professional growth.
When it comes to sexual education, what role does Planned Parenthood play?
A total of 1.5 million people are reached by Planned Parenthood education staff each year, with middle school and high school students accounting for 64 percent of those reached by the organisation.
- The education divisions of Planned Parenthood offer a diverse range of programming opportunities, including:
- Evidence-based education programmes for children, adolescents, adults, and vulnerable populations are needed.
- Programs for Peer Education
- Other community-driven, culturally relevant health education programmes, such as the Promotores Programs, are also available.
- Parent/Family Education Programs are available.
- Programs for LGBTQ youth and their parents/caregivers that are centred on their needs.
- The education and training of professionals, including educators and school personnel, staff members of community-based organisations, and religious leaders
- Workshops with a single session and outreach